Contact Me:

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Is the 4th of July for Black People?

Often times when holidays come around, you have a group a people who go on social media to rant about why we shouldn't celebrate said holiday. This year was the first year I actually saw posts about the 4th of July should not be celebrated by Black people. I know some history :) and I know that when the USA received their independence that Blacks were still enslaved. 

So because we (Blacks) did not receive our freedom on the same day as the USA, do we have a right to participate in the celebrations? Can we show our love for the country we where we live? Or should we just sit this day out? 

I'm going to be honest with y'all, when I think about July 4th, I don't think about the history of it. I know I should but I really don't. My main concern is having the day off and going to a cookout with good food. 

I wonder if those Blacks saying we can't celebrate July 4th celebrate the day we actually received our "freedom" from USA? I don't recall seeing any posts from them about Juneteenth celebrations. I bet half of them don't even know what Juneteenth is :( 


No comments:

Post a Comment